Monday, March 11, 2013

Storm Sewing

I saw this Scrappy Trips Around the World quilt a lot online and decided to make one of my own.  The pattern I followed is here and is from Bonnie Hunter.  Great instructions and easy to follow!  I actually started it right before the first snow storm a few weeks ago.  I sewed a few blocks, and then sewed strips for more blocks so I could cut them after the electricity went out.  That's what I prepare before a storm, hand sewing and fabric for cutting, and of course a bathtub full of water because we lose water when we lose electricity.  
 I had some strips cut and sewn and ready to be cut into strips of squares during the daylight hours.

I also cut more strips and put them in piles for more blocks.

 So after all our weekend storms the quilt was this big.  I wanted to make it two rows bigger on length and width so it will measure 96 by 96.  I have just about all the blocks made and have to sew them together.  Soon.

I limited the colors to red, orange, yellow, lime green, blue, and gray.  You can click here to see over a thousand pictures of Scrappy Trips Quilts!

I also cut fabric for blocks for this other quilt I am working on in black and gray fabrics. You can see little piles of cut fabric held together with a pin to keep each block's fabric together.

The pattern is called Spin Cycle and it is from Cluck Cluck Sew.  We carry the pattern at Tumbleweed.